<body>

Hands-on Project 3-2

Date: Thursday, June 03, 2010


Hands-on Project 3-2: Test AV Software

Checking antivirus setting: Malware(virus) Protection is on.




The website containing fake virus(eicar_com.zip and eicarcom2.zip) that I'm going to download.




Scan result for eicar_com.zip
The file eicar_com is detected as virus and had been deleted



Scan result for eicarcom2.zip
The file eicar_com is detected as virus and had been deleted


Reflection:

The objective of this hands-on project is to test and see if our Anti-virus is working. The one installed in my system is Symantec Endpoint Protection(SEP).

As what I understood, the file eicar.com I have downloaded is completely safe. It is not a real virus but standard test file developed by the European Institute for Computer Anti-virus Research (EICAR). All anti-virus products are programmed to detect this file as if it was a real virus. Since I’m clear that this file will not infect my computer, I carry on the test.

Next, I’ll go on to reflect on my test. My AV didn’t prevent me from downloading the two eicar files when the dialog box asks if I want to download the files. This is a sign that Symantec Endpoint Protection is not really working effectively. But in the later steps to scan the files, SEP did manage to identify the files as virus and deleted it automatically. This can be seen from the screen shot I captured. Like the previous practical, I also did a research on web to find out what if the AV is not working. The following is a direct quote from (http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_000.html)

If your anti-virus product should fail to prevent you from running the file, it will simply display the text "EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE" in a DOS box. No harm will have been done, but you should probably consider using a better anti-virus product, because if it had been a real virus, your computer would by now be infected!

Labels: ,


林小颍's work ^—^V