<body>

Hands-on Project 8-1

Date: Monday, August 23, 2010


Hands-on Project 8-1 : Use Cognitive Biometrics

About Cognitive biometrics
Cognitive biometrics is related to the perception, thought process, and understanding of the user. It is considered to be much easier for the user to remember because it is based on the user’s life experiences. This also makes it very difficult for an attacker to imitate.
- One example of cognitive biometrics is based on a life experience that the user remembers.
- Another example of cognitive biometrics requires the user to identify specific faces.


For this hands-on project, I am going to participate in a demostration of Passfaces.
First, I go to http://www.passfaces.com/demo/.
Under "First Time Users", I entered the requested information.
About Passfaces
Passfaces is a unique strong authentication technology that works with existing security systems to supplement or replace the use of passwords for system access. Passfaces uses human faces rather than alphanumeric entries to validate a user's identity. This patented technology is only available from Passfaces.


After I click to enroll, it shows a Thank You page.



Together with the Thank You page, there is also a pop up screen like this.



This is the demo process. I screenshot the whole steps and make it into a gif.


 
The introduction to Passface.                         This screen shows the steps I'm going to do.


 
Step by step guide.
The STEP 2 allows me to further remember the 3 faces I'm given.
Step 3 tested if I can recall those faces.

 
Lastly, I passed the log on test and managed to log on.


Reflection:
There are a few examples of Cognitive Biometric. This practical introduces Passfaces which uses human faces rather than alphanumeric entries to validate a user's identity. I think this type of Cognitive Biometric is quite effective, at least to me, I prefer this to a password. It is easily recognized, difficult to describe, share, and most importantly, impossible to guess. I tried to look at the screenshot with 9 faces again a day after I did this hands-on project, I’m still able to recognize the faces. This shows that my brain actually works better with graphics, like photos. Thus, I think this Passface technology might be able to replace the current alphanumeric passwords in the later years.

Labels: ,


林小颍's work ^—^V